Wednesday, July 17, 2013

the wild pigeons of Salisbury beach part 95

*funny photo of gulls taking refuge under beach umbrellas to escape the heat!
It's been really really hot. Thank God for central air. My husband takes me to the beach every morning to at least to feed the pigeons.
 I am hopeful, at least at the end of the summer (whimper) I'll be able to go in the water-even if that means I have to wear sneakers in the water for support and to protect my feet.
I hate the summer passing me by.
We've been keeping tabs on the pigeon activity. Summer time means more food for the pigeons. (pizza crust, fried doe and french fries)but it also means more people, dogs, cats and seagulls. This includes more trash, cars and poisonous substances.All are a danger to the pigeons.
A few days ago I spotted a youngster trying like mad to fly back up to the nesting zone.He must have fell out of the nest or was pushed out too early. He looked to be about four weeks-maybe 5 weeks old. He was small and really dirty. The best thing would be to place him back on the ledge.
I, of course, was panicking. because I couldn't do anything.. I looked around and spotted chairs stacked to the side of a bar. I had my husband place them near the nesting site in order for him to put the little bird back. on the ledge.
Success!
I was so grateful that he did this. The poor little thing looked lost and would for sure would not have made it.
However, his survival still remains iffy. Two days later he was still up on the ledge. Hopefully one of the parents is still feeding him and not neglecting him in order to make way for the new babies. I know that. the mother has a new batch of babies because I found a freshly discarded egg shell under the ledge.
Meanwhile, my pigeon follows me around everywhere. I have to be super careful where I step and most recently, scooting around with the computer chair.
As I was backing out of the bathroom in the chair I did not see the pigeon run up to the door. (The last I saw him he was busy in the bird room doing something) .His feathers got caught under a wheel and I heard him roar.
 I felt awful!
 A bunch of feathers got pulled out. Thank God he was not injured..I held him for the rest of the afternoon.He is back to his old self again but I am extra careful now of his whereabouts.

1 comment: