Monday, July 15, 2013

cast off

Friday, I had a doctor's appointment to check the progress of my foot healing.
The permanent cast on my foot was finally removed. I was counting the minutes for this thing to be taken off. It was like some nasty archaeological find similar to unwrapping a mummy. It was pretty gross.
My foot was completely purple and still obscenely huge. My calf looked like a prickly stick with a saggy flaccid bag hanging from it. I was shocked at how much my calf had atrophied in such a short period of time. I still have a cast now but it is removable and I am urged to walk on it.
The first thing I did when I got home was stick my bare foot in a cool basin of water.It is amazing how such a simple thing like this was pure heaven.
 I tried walking with the help of  crutches to balance me when I got home. It was like learning to walk all over again. The next day was better I could walk using just one crutch as stability. I walked around more to build up strength.
The next day, with the help of a crutch, I walked around with my husband in a grocery store. Needless, to say, I felt like a ran a marathon. I was exhausted and my back leg muscles were sore. I have to say, I was appalled at how obnoxious and inconsiderate people were in the grocery store. I can't tell you how many times women eyes glued on their cell-phones rushing around almost crashed into me. Unfuckingbelievable.
Walking around is getting better. I cleaned the bird cages this morning without help. It takes a lot longer but I feel emotionally better doing my normal routine.I find myself really appreciating all those simple things you take for granted. I want to get back to my old life and comfortable routines. It is so nice to be able to wash my hair in the bathroom shower rather than standing one legged over the kitchen sink.
At this stage I still have stability issues going up and down stairs. I do my morning exercises to keep fit.
My husband still helps me around with the other chores and he still takes me in the morning to see the pigeons.
One day at a time,I tell myself.
At least my foot is healing, and so far, no need for surgery. I'll still have to wear this walking cast until mid-August.
I look forward to wearing 'real shoes" in a few months as well, not this ugly-ass sneaker I've been wearing on my 'good' foot.The doctor told me close to six months before my foot will be "normal".

1 comment:

  1. That's a GREAT picture. It must have felt like your leg looked like that when they took off the cast.

    ReplyDelete