Monday, September 1, 2014

August 31 2014 dive # 932 & 933

August 31 2014 dive # 932
Labor day weekend
You can see the light and wind shift change by Labor day.
Bummer. This means "the gate is going down".
Regardless, you savor these sunny warm days like it is that last chocolate chip cookie in the bag.
Today was warm and sunny. We anchored in Folly Cove to do some more filming and also it was a protected cove. The waves at Salisbury beach (and other beaches as well) have been monsterously huge along with a wicked undertow and rip current.
Chris and Fred were running the show along with Pete and Andy. John (from the froggies) and Illya were also onboard.
The captain was 'on a tear". Chris and I did our best to do what was instructed as far as filming. I felt a bit sick and my right ear was acting up but I desperately wanted to go diving. I did my best "easing' my ear to equalize. The cold water felt good on my head.
The surface temp was in the high 60sF and appeared deceptionally smooth. However once we got past 20 feet there was a wicked current and it was freakin' cold. Chris reported it was 45F!!!!!!
 We did a few "swimming" scenes and 'fiddling around at the bottom looking at stuff" for the filming. A skate swam by and there was a convention of hermit crabs. They looked like a bunch of partiers. When I swam up to them they quickly dispersed as if I was a copper on a bust.
I tried to do the "don & doff' using the double hose but it proved to be more of challenge than I visualized. I kept getting the hose twisted and tangled which caused the air to flood in my mouth. This also blasted the plate mask off skilter forcing water up my nose. I have no problem ditching & donning using my standard BCD and single hose regulator. The double hose doesn't afford the same kind of flexiblity and even air flow like the single hose.
dive # 933
We took a little break and braved the cold undercurrent again to film a little more.
The don & doff with the double hose just wasn't going to fly, at least for today. Illya ventured out further in spite of being warned of the current. It's puzzling to why he just didn't stay close to the boat or by the wall.
Chris paddled out to him in the inflatable to assist him, if he needed assistance. Andy had his wetsuit on ready and waiting as well.Everything turned out to be A-Ok.
Never a dull moment!
My neoprene socks were not in my dive gear bag. I either absent mindingly put them in someone elses bag or left them on the boat. Maybe they just walked off all by themselves to hide .Even my scrottie old neoprene socks don't want the dive season to end!

2 comments:

  1. You were surely a trooper, V. I'm happy to report that the footage we shot was all super-duper. It was all worth it for our "art."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very motivating to know our efforts and trying different angles worked out A Ok for the footage.

      Delete