Sunday, September 28, 2014

September 28 2014 dive # 937

September 28 2014 dive # 937
Did I say last time that was the last dive of season? Oops. My mistake.
Today was predicted to be a beach day with record breaking temps sooooooo I contacted Jackie to see if she was game for a dive.
We went to Back beach. The entry point is fairly easy, they have public toilets and there are places to park (so long as you get there early and bring LOTS of quarters for the meter. It is 25 cents per 8 minutes! Good thing I had a pile of quarters reserved for tolls)
Jackie, Sandy and Andy showed up plus a gent from Argentina se llama "Marcone" (I'm not sure if I am spelling it correctly) asked if he could join us.
Jackie and Sandy buddied up and I had "all the men to myself".
Water temp seemed reasonable. I am guessing about 62F. The further and deeper we went out it got COLD. I think we hit about a 50 ft depth. The viz was clear at about 20 ft or so. No current but a light surge.
There was lots of small lobsters, cunners and a HUGE red sea raven. He was a monster! I swam back to the shore most of the way back because I  ran really low on air. I think I ended up with probably 50psi left. That's what happens when you have fun.
I did bring an extra tank "just in case". And guess what, I did a second dive.
dive #938
We went back in at back beach but this time we dove in a triangle pattern so that I did not risk getting so low on air. Ten minutes one way, ten minutes another and ten another , and then slowly swimming back looking around at things. This was a good game plan.
Andy found a huge mushroom anchor. It was completely encrusted with stuff. There was one area that was loaded with all kinds of pipe fish of various sizes and colors.-yellow, tan, rust and brown. Some of the bigger ones looked like snakes.
There were these two crabs that had their backs to each other up standing up straight. They looked they were trying scratch each other's back. There were also some curious hermit crabs investigating Andy's gloves that had holes in them.
The place was packed with divers now. There were lots of "newbies" there working at getting certified.
Jackie, Sandy and I afterwards headed over to Plum cove.
 There was a dive club event going on. We wanted to say "hi" to our dive buddies. Fred, Chris and Pete were there as well.Everyone was having a good time. The sun was really beating down and I ended up "Hampton beaching it". The water felt really refreshing.
It was truly a great day.
So now I am ready for a bucket.

2 comments:

  1. It was great seeing you guys today. What a perfect dive day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been catching up on some of your blogs. I haven't been able to keep up since June, but I had an hour to tool around today, so here I am. MY you've been up to a LOT! You've had some really fun times and some not so fun, I see. Hope all is well with you (And Fred, and Chris, and Pete, and Pat, and everyone else from Easy Diver). I'm reading some of your posts and missing being there. Things here are really good. Just had my 5th year anniversary. Can't believe it's been 5 years already. Miss you all!

    ReplyDelete