Tuesday, August 19, 2014

dive fatalities-addressing the elephant in the room

In general, people don't want to talk about death.
 I can't say I blame 'em.
 It's uncomfortable and we are afraid to offend the departed family.
With that being said, regardless,I do feel it is necessary to talk about what happened to our dive buddy. I am opening up a forum to discuss what we know and using what we know discuss the probabilities of what might have happened to hopefully, prevent another untimely death.
The only information that I have is that our friend was found UW at 25 feet without her dive gloves on.
What we don't know is if she had any medical conditions or if there was any air in her tank and/or tainted air in her tank. In this forum, I am ruling out any malice or foul play. The police reported this as a 'diving accident due to drowning".
OK
All week I've been plagued with very real and vivid nightmares. One dream keeps repeating over and over again is that I wake up and on Fred's boat alone. The boat breaks off of the dock and is moving away from the dock over white caps and choppy seas. I panic and think, "oh God..I've got to save the boat!"
 I am not too far away from the dock that I could put on fins and swim to the dock but the boat would be lost. I couldn't do that.
I try to remember how to start the boat, put it into gear and  bring it back to the dock. I then think, then what? Which line do I tie off first to secure it? What if I can't do this. What radio station do I call for mayday? As the boat floats off, I see passing boats and wave my hands frantic for help. No one stops. I've got to remember, rehearse the skills I've learned awhile back and not to panic/freeze to order to save the boat.
 I do believe this dream is symbolic in many ways.
The boats symbolizes divers and diving in general. I am trying not to panic and I try to kick start my brain into Action. Therefore,by trying to remember what to do  symbolizes that one always needs to practice and refresh your memory into 'what if situations' so that you can jump into action at ease, and you can not rely on others to 'help' you.
Even though it was "only a dream" I asked Chris to review boat stuff "just in case'. Knowledge and learned skills are comforting.
With this being said, I think about general scuba skills and our friend's death.
What we know is that she was at the bottom , with water in her lungs and no gloves.
What happened UW?
This is what I think might  have happened, but I want to be clear this is just me thinking (writing) out loud.
My first thought is that she got caught in a monofiliment ghost net and couldn't get out. So far, nothing has been said about a gill net entanglement.
The fact if she frantically took off her gloves in the cold Maine waters means she was desperate for dexterity to 'fix" something. I am guessing she got herself in trouble and was trying to inflate her BCD hose to get to the surface. The inflator hose might have had a crack in it therefore it filled with water making it impossible to inflate and at the same time making the BCD even heavier weighing her down. She also had a intergrated weight BCD. So either she thought about ditching the weights, or not, or couldn't get them out. Or she nevereven  thought to get out of the heavy BCD, or couldn't, and panicked.
When this scene crossed my mind, I thought this "ditch the BCD and weights" skill that has to practiced over and over again so it is second nature.
I have a simple no frills BCD. I also use a weight belt. They are simple, reasonably priced and I can easily get them on and off. Most people have these $600.00 fancy intergrated weights BCD. I do beleive people either don't think to ditch weights (they forget that this is an option) or they are reluctant of ditching a specialized part of their $600.00 equipment or that they can't.
This may or may not be the issue  in this case but it is worth talking about.
Last year when I did my first dive of the season,I was  testing out my dry suit etc... I got caught in a current. I was struggling to get back to the boat. I thought to myself, "oh shit..this isn't working...what do I do?" and then it dawned on me to just ditch the  friggin' weight belt so I could swim with out the extra burden. As I was reaching for the buckle, Larient came out to get me. (Thank you Larient!) You got to repeat in your mind: just ditch the friggin' belt! (it's only a $20.00 belt!)
I can pretty much get out of all of my equipment UW *but it something you have to practice and think about all the time.*
When I was thinking of this I figured I could probably even get out of my wetsuit, if I really really had to. As I was visualizing my houdini act it occurred to me that the only piece of equipment I would not be able to get out of would be my dry suit. yikes..
Dry suits tear and fill with water making them extremely heavy.
Years ago on Easy Diver, (about 16 years ago) I recall a customer who was struggling at the surface. His dry suit had a tear and it was filling with water. I swam out to get him.
He weighted a million pounds. I struggled to tow him back. Pete jumped as well and we got him back to the boat.
Did our departed friend's dry suit suddenly filled with water as well? Therefore weighing her down? We still do not know.
I really hope we find the answer. It will not bring her back but I think, as the scuba diving community -we need to know.
Please feel free to give your thoughts on this matter. I am just volleying my thoughts on the matter.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your thoughts on this, V. I don't know how many people could/would drop their weight in a stressful situation on top or on the bottom. Whenever I've witnessed a "close call," I've taken the person aside much later and quietly asked if ditching their weight belt or weight pockets ever crossed their mind. EVERY SINGLE PERSON said "No!"

    I think the panic and stress of the close call wipes out everything else from one's consciousness. Just get to the surface...just get back to the boat...just get to shore takes over all one's thoughts. It just never dawned on me to drop the weight belt (I'm included in this list).

    Our friend's death will reinforce my plan to drop my weight at the first sign of trouble. That's my take away from the tragedy.

    ReplyDelete