Monday, August 18, 2014

August 17 2014 dive #928 & 929

*photo done by Andy Jaswinski. Thanks Andy!

August 17 2014 dive# 928
It turned out be a pretty nice day. There was a chance of afternoon showers but that was Ok. We were going to be wet anyways. We headed to Folly Cove to continue on filming with the "60 years of diving". Fred and Chris were in charge. Andy and Pete at the helm, along with dive buddies,John (from the froggies), Jackie and Sandy.
Chris was filming and I continued as the 1950's diver. As you can see I am wearing Russ K's vintage mask, a double hose reg, back-pack and simple black rubber fins. I got to admit, I'm begining to like this vintage stuff. I like it because it is simple. The mask has a huge field of vision. Unfortunately, I need bifocals!
Andy saved the day by noticing the double hose had a tear in it. The guys jumped into action and repaired the leak. And then, off Chris and I went.
The water was relatively warm (high 60s) but the viz was awful-at maybe 10 feet max. On top of it, there was a sneaky current and some surge action. Chris and I moved away from the surge and I think we got some of the needed shots. I had a little trouble clearing my right ear but it eventually "popped" into place.
dive #929
We moved the boat over at Folly cove to where Andy had spotted the "rraken' a few weeks ago. I still had some air left so I figured I'd look around to see if I would get "lucky". I did see a very large tautog and some good sized lobsters.
After I took my wet suit off Jackie and Sandy came up and they said they found a torpedo ray! Arghhh! I must have swam right by it! Oh well...
We still had fun and beat the rain.

3 comments:

  1. Great take on the day's diving, V. We had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a blast! Even with the rain. Wish I could send you guys some of our heat!

    -KN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kath,
      Thanks for reading. BTW you can keep your heat! It's been a mild summer this year. I hope it will be a mild winter.

      Delete