Monday, August 4, 2014

Aug 3 2014 dive # 924 & 925/ dive # 1 & 2

*Ok you are probably wondering why I posted this picture from the funny/scary "Chuckie' movies in a dive log post.
Well, let me explain.
 As a kid I used to tease my brother and call him "Chuckie" after a crazy kid in the neighborhood and also after the killer "Chuckie" doll. As an adult when my brother had a son I subsequently called my nephew "Chuckie Jr".
So hence, the story begins.

Aug 3 2014  dive # 924
Fred and Chris so graciously welcomed my nephew "Chuckie jr"(Richie) out for a day of scuba"aboard Easy Diver.
Pete, Andy, John (from the froggies), and Jackie were out also out for a day of fun. The weather was fairly cooperative -cloudy with some drizzle. Thankfully no noticeable wind. We headed to Nile beach to practice skills in shallow water.
I geared Rich up with my husbands gear. He fit into a brand new 5 mil surf suit, a hood, booties, and size L force fins. We used 12lbs. of weight that seemed to work fine and a back-pack. I had a small green mask that fit him OK, at least for now. I had him use my "little bomb" tank.
We first jumped off the side of boat to get the feel of the wetsuit's buoyancy and to do some snorkling. He had no problem using the snorkle and diving down.
Chris, myself and Rich took the inflatable over to the beach into stand up water Chris had him go through most of the skills which I was amazed as how fast he caught on.
He breathed through the regulator, retrieved the regulator, cleared his mask, removed his mask and cleared it (one of the hardest skills), unfasten and dropped his weight belt, and got himself out of the back pack.
After we finished the skills he out swam me back to the boat! Ha!
This was Dive #1 for Rich
dive #925
Water temperature was about 61F, but I was shivering. However,  I wasn't about to miss out on Rich's first decent down to 18 feet. Chris took Rich down the down line to make sure he could clear his ears and scuba around under the boat. He had no problems. Although the viz was only 10 feet we saw hermit crabs and lots of different skates scurring about.It was pretty cool!.
This was dive #2 for Rich. And Pete presented him with a dive log.
He did well.
I am hoping he will continue on and is now bitten by the "diving bug".

2 comments:

  1. He did really well and it was fun having a part in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like great fun! Another one hooked on the sport, no doubt!

    Kathy (From the dry docks of the west)

    ReplyDelete