Wednesday, May 8, 2013

the wild pigeons of Salisbury beach part 91

Here is Craow Dum basking in the sun by the french doors.
Never a dull moment with these darn birds.
And yes, the white homer is still hanging around at the end of "A" street by Mattie's. It seems he has grown attached to the roof where he now resides. However, he has not linked up to the group of six resident feral pigeons that roost on the telephone wire nearby. The lady who lives in the house has left food and water out for him. daily.
 I'm not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing.
The good thing is that he has food and water daily.
 The bad thing is he might think this is home-and God knows where "home" is for this  hand raised lost athlete.
 The scary part is there are lots of hawks and cats that live on this street as well.
This morning I noticed as I was jogging on the beach there was a tiny baby pigeon chick dead on the sidewalk along with bits of egg shells.. I see lots of nesting pigeons right now tucked in around the pizza signs along with some of their sad failures .
I found a young fledgling under a nesting area. I wasn't sure if his parents were around or if he could fly back up where ever his nest was or if he was well. He was a youngster at perhaps 4 weeks or 5 weeks old. However his beak and nares were wet and dark. I'm not sure if he had some respiratory infection or it was just wet from drinking water. I was very very tempted to take him home to rehab him but I worry he could have something infectious to my other birds.
Sigh...I'm not sure what to do.
Hopefully, he is OK and safely back with his parents. Maybe I am worrying about nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment