Friday, May 3, 2013

the Wild Pigeons of Salisbury beach part 90

Never a dull moment when it comes to dealing with my birds -inside the house and outside.
For about a week or so I noticed one pigeon in the mix of other pigeons on the beach that was particularly filthy. At first I thought this pigeon must be a nesting mother. They are usually hunkered down on a nest sometimes getting their poop and the the babies poop stuck to their tail feathers. However, this one was really filthy.
This one looked as through she had been stuck in tar or oil.I also noticed that this one didn't fly over to the food but ran. I was hoping in a day or two she would clean herself up in a puddle but instead this poor creature was getting weighted down by it's own dirt. I had finally decided that the next day I would capture her, take her home, wash the goo off with orange solvent and "Dawn" detergent and then release her back on the beach. Sadly, she the next day, she was no where to be found. Either a predator got her or she died from ingesting whatever was on the feathers.
Meanwhile, I got a call from somebody who lives on "Mattie" (the dog)'s street about a white dove huddled under her truck. She saw my pic in the newspaper and called me. Apparently people have mistakenly thought I "rescue" birds. Regardless, I drove back up there late afternoon with a ladder, a carrier and net.
All the neighbors were huddled around as I arrived.A big hawk kept swooping down trying to get this bird.
The bird was not a dove but a homing pigeon with two leg bands. I tried to get him but he flew off. I sat in the driveway with a sprinkling of seeds on the ground holding still for an hour. The pigeon came down and started to peck at the seed but very cautiously. He got really close and I tried again to grab him with no avail.
I spent close to two hours trying to get him until it started to rain, the wind picking up, darkness falling and my back and knees were aching  badly AND I really REALLY had to use the toilet.
This was all of great entertainment to the neighbors watching me. The pigeon obviously was lost and had no idea what to do.Sadly, I left empty handed.
I am hoping he hunkered down for the night and perhaps, is on his way back home.
I'll be back up there to walk Mattie again today so I will keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. You are the Pigeon Shouter, V. They should come when you call :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was there again the next day, the odd thing is that he was looking at me from the roof. After I walked Mattie he flew over to Mattie's house!I still could not get him. We shall see on monday!

    ReplyDelete