Friday, May 10, 2013

the wild pigeons of Salisbury beach part 92

* I did not take this photo of a 4-5 week old pigeon. I found this pic on the internet just to show you what a 4 week old pigeon looks like. They look like adults except their beak and cere are not as defined as an adult and their eyes are bigger. There may be some remnants of fuzz through their feathers.They are fledglings.
Yesterday, I saw the youngster (again)sitting on milk crates positioned under the pizza sign loft. He was with another youngster who looked a bit more developed. They were sitting ducks for any wandering cats or busy dogs.
 I brought my ladder with me and put him and his brother back on the lofts. A supervising adult up on the loft (I presume the father) charged over and inspected the bird and then went about his business. This seemed like a good sign.Although the adult didn't feed him.
I went for my jog and came back to inspect the birds. The older one was on the ground again along with the other foraging adults.The smaller one paced nervously.
This was a bit disconcerting.I made up my mind, the next morning if he was there, and if he looked like he was not being cared for I would take him home.
The next day while all the other pigeons raced over for their morning seed I saw the little one wandering around. I thought to myself. "oh shit.." I went to pick him up and he flew up to the loft!
Hooray!
The father pigeon came down and started to "bust-a-move". This was a very good sign. I could see the older brother mixing with the other birds which was also a good sign.
Meanwhile, I haven't seen the white pigeon over in Seabrook. He must be still around because the lady who has had the pigeon visit her had set up a shelter with food and water for him.
I am still hoping he finds his way back home-where ever that is.

1 comment:

  1. They are amazing birds, V. Imagine being able to fly at such a young age.

    ReplyDelete