Tuesday, January 8, 2013

the great cockatiel caper

Yesterday was for the most part  just a normal day.
 I did my chores, walked Mattie and traveled to Beverly to get art supplies at a real art store.
 (*Note: Never buy "art supplies" at those crappy craft stores like Micheals or Joanne fabric. It is the worst low quality crap. I made the mistake of buying acrylic paints at Micheals. The color is off and it flows like sludge. I found out the paints were made in China too. Their "so called" acrylic paints and canvas boards are a complete waste of money)
Anyways....
I got home around 2:00pm and saw that my answering machine was blinking. I didn't even take off my coat. These days I worry it is an emergency call from my mother so when I see the light blinking I check it right away.
This time it was from my cousin. The call was made at about 10:35am. She was out walking her dogs with her little nephews at Cashman park. She spotted a man frantically trying to lure his pet cockatiel perched high in the trees to come down.She said the bird has been up on the tree for about 24 hours.
 I called her back right away.
She was of course home at this point.She said she didn't know if the guy got his bird. She had called me hoping I had some ideas to help this guy out. I told her I would head down to the area to see if the cockatiel was still in the tree.
I packed a short ladder, a covered pet carrier, a net and millet treats. I left my hat and gloves in the car despite the chilly temps because for the most part 'tiels are afraid of hats and gloves. The poor thing must be starving so the lure of a bunch of juicy millet may entice him to come down.
 I didn't see anybody by the park that fitted my cousin's description nor did I see any birds other than seagulls around or near the trees and park area.
 I walked around whistling listening for any kind of response or any kind of bird sounds.
Nothing.
I went from one end of the park to the next looking around and listening.
 Still nothing.
Cockatiels are generally migratory flock birds but usually stay within a 20 mile area. Regardless, they are small easily frightened birds with predators all around.
I do not know if the owner retrieved his bird or if the bird flew off and he gave up. I do not know. Regardless, I will keep my eyes and ears open.

3 comments:

  1. I forgot to email Matt Lipinsky to see if he heard anything! Will do right now..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went back yesterday to Cashman and walked around. Checked nearby trees, under the slides and around trash bins. I walked to NBPT center as well looking around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are bird lady of the Merrimack Valley!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete