Monday, October 10, 2016

rubbish to runway 2016

On Oct 8th I not only designed my outfit  I also modeled it at the blue Ocean ball room stage in Salisbury. I've got to say, I worked with some seriously talented ladies.
There were a total of  about 30 outfits modeled. Six were picked to be displayed in a local art gallery. Mine wasn't picked but I didn't feel bad about it because most of the dresses were jaw dropping amazing. They deserved to be displayed. I just felt honored to be selected to be a part of this show.
And what a show.
My dress and jacket were made of shedded feathers from all of my birds. This was two years worth of molted feathers from cockatiels, pigeons, doves, princess of wales and a caique. I found a 80's style cocktail dress and totally reconstructed it. The boots I paid $1.00 in Goodwill and completely redid the boots over by painting them, cushioned the inside and reheeled them. The criteria to be in the show was that all the outfits had to be made from discarded/recycled/trash materials.
The proceeds of the show went to "a long way home"-a organization that builds schools in underdeveloped countries out of recycled materials.
My runway song was "when doves cry' by Prince. My dress was mostly made of dove feathers and as you can see my boots are purple with the Prince glyph so the song was a perfect fit.It was pretty exciting to walk out on the runway stage with the purple lights and Prince music. Nerve wracking but exciting.People were cheering. One girl came up to me later and said "Prince would've been proud". That comment really made my day.
It was great fun. Maybe again next year?

2 comments: