Thursday, September 3, 2015

Trixie

Last saturday, Jody from the Cape Ann wildlife rehab called me to home a disabled baby pigeon. I was hesitant since I just came back from vacation and have been inundated with birdy boarders. With that being said, 99.9% of disabled pigeons end up getting euthanasia.I don't mind having a handicapped bird so long as they can feed themselves and not sit in their own poop. (As you know I already have a beakless pigeon.)
This splay leg baby has it's challenges.
 I took her to my vet right away thinking and hoping the legs could be corrected with surgery. But unfortunately the doctor said the prognosis was poor and did not recommend surgery. Her gram stains were normal but I noticed feather lice crawling on me so she got a drop of ivermectin and sevin powder dusted in her cage. Gross.
 The vet  did recommend supplements and calcium drops that may help her. She was doubtful the splint would help since her leg was so out of joint and the ligaments stretched.She is about 5 weeks old. She still has baby fuzz on her head and cries. She can lift off the ground by flying and can eat a little seed/pellets on her own. Although I have been soft tube feeding her in the morning  20 ml liquid combo of kaytee exact and "recover" formula (harrisons) for that extra nutrition.. I had lined the walls and ceiling of her cage with a soft screen mesh so she doesn't injure her wings when she flaps. The bottom of the cage is covered with carefresh ( soft cardboard mulch) (or a towel)
I've been taking her outside in the morning for morning sunshine and fresh air in a mini-cage.
I have been trying all kinds and methods of wrapping and splinting her legs so she can stand.I used paper surgical tape, paper twist ties and I even bought foam (ladies hair)rollers to cushion her legs.However, She would manage to kick them off, tumble and cry. I would wash her legs and rub vitamin E on the joints since they looks irritated. It has been more than frustrating because the reality is her legs will never be corrected so I either prop her up with splints for the rest of her life or let her adjust naturally to her handicap with her one bad leg facing straight behind her. It's a hard choice to make. I took her splints off tonight and placed her in a tiny basket. Hopefully she will be comfortable and she will be OK.
One day at a time.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you, V. There will be a special place for you in the next life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, V. There will be a special place for you in the next life.

    ReplyDelete