Friday, September 4, 2015

Trixie part 2


Poor Trixie.
She was having such a hard time getting around. I spent time searching for ideas for different methods of splinting her legs but none of them worked. So I freed her legs in hopes she would adjust to her handicap. Unfortunately her 'good leg' was turning out and she would just flop about. My husband thought I was fussing about her too much that it was harmful to her well-being so I let her be last night.
In the morning I washed her, fed her and took her outside for sunshine. Her freed legs looked worse. She was crying and fussing about.I couldn't stand it and thought about what I should do. She was messing about in the carefresh and most of it would land in her food and water.I thought the carefresh would help her not slip but it did the opposite.
 So I bought some nonslip rubber liner and lined her cage plus I put a nubby towel down. I took a sistal perch and I sewed a layer of craft foam and soft mesh screen to it making  a soft shelf so she could get used to perching. I rolled towels around the edging so she could rest as well.
I then took a ladies foam curler rollers plus paper tape and made a new soft leg splint for her. She could now balance on one leg now. She seemed so much more comfortable like this. So far this seems like the best thing for her now. When I put her on the soft shelf perch she didn't cry but appeared to be (finally) comfortable. I am hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment