Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Andros island part 3


*photos above are done by Alex Shure   copyright

A bird boarding client of mine (who has a blue fronted pionus) told me she and her husband had sailed and anchored at Small Hope bay a few years ago. She remembered the beautiful harbor and the unique batik fabric that is sold here at the island.
And I remember the sharks. (chuckle!)
Lots of them.
Just about every dive we did there were sharks present.
Mostly Caribbean reef sharks.
On our last wall dive the dive master spotted a large hammer head shark at the ledge. I didn't see it but I wished I had.
Midweek Alex, Patrick and I did the shark feeding dive. Robo and a young kid name Ethan (who reminded me of my nephew Joey) snorkled at the surface.
If you want one sure way to get sharks in the area throw a couple snorklers in the water-never mind the chumsicle.
The sharks were very VERY  interested in those two snorklers.
All of us divers positioned ourselves in a semi circle at 60 feet..and watched.
As you can see in the first photo *above, that is yours truly watching the sharks above circling the snorklers above.
I've got to say that Robo and Ethan had major cojones.
 I counted thirteen sharks circling the surface and every once in awhile one brave shark would get all" jerky" and dash out and grab their fins.
Holy crap!
Once the chumsicle was lowered down the sharks lost interest in them and began chewing up the block-o-fish. * as you can see in the second photo.
My husband did not do this dive. It's not his 'thing".  I,on the other hand, love stuff like this. I thought it was "wicked pissah!"
The dive master collected a few teeth that the sharks lost in the frenzy and gave me one.
Not only were there sharks present but giant groupers! I hadn't seen big groupers like this in over a decade.Wow!
I didn't want this dive trip to end.
On our last evening a pod of dolphins entered the bay. I ran out with the kids to check it out. I wanted to jump in the water and follow them but sensibility told me not to just in case they had babies with them.
It was such a gift to see them.
It was as if they were saying, "goodbye! Come back and see us again!"
hmmmmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment