Wednesday, September 9, 2015

trixie part 3


Trixie is doing Ok.
 I re-splinted her legs with ladies foam curlers, paper bandage tape and paper twist ties.
 She is adjusting. She can fly and can land as you can see (the first photo on her playgym). It will help strengthen her feet by gripping. I take her splints off occasionally to clean her legs, massage her legs and to put clean rollers/bandages on.
 I am still tube feeding her 20cc in the morning for extra nutrition but she may not need it since she will eat seed/pellets on her own (so long as I am there!). She will not eat all alone. She likes when I hold the bowl and tap the inside of the bowl. The same with the water. My finger must look like a beak dipping in the bowl.
As you can see I put a soft shelf for her in the second picture. She will fly up there herself and rest on it like a hammock. In the evening I give her a drop of liquid calcium for her growing bones. She loves when I take her out of the cage and cuddle her. When my "visitor" birds go home I will then bring her upstairs to join the flock. Right now she is still on quarantine. I have seen no more lice so that business is done.
It's very hot today, when it cools off later I will take her outside for fresh air and ambient sun.
I am feeling hopeful. She most likely will always be handicapped but so long as she can get around, balance and stand I think she will be fine.

2 comments:

  1. She's got you to thank for her improvement, V. Your dedication is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's got you to thank for her improvement, V. Your dedication is amazing.

    ReplyDelete