Wednesday, February 19, 2014

let it snow...oh God! Just shoot me!



From the many previous 'winter" blog posts I have spent a great deal of time bitching about the weather.
I've tried to restrain from doing so this year  but, HOWEVER, last night was the "deal breaker".
 We were only suppose to get a 'few light inches" of snow (after getting hit simultaneously from two other previous snow storms.)
Last night's snow was heavy, thick  and icy.
A big mother plow came by and left an monster ice berg at the entrance of the drive way.
Oh how nice.
This was something the snow blower could not cut through. This was one freakin' big iceberg. It was big enough to sink the Titanic if it was afloat. We spent hours chopping at it to break it down to remove it by hand. Seriously, it was a big pain.
I shoveled off the back deck last night as the snow was turning into ice. I am fearful the weight will collapse the structure plus I like to make sure the outside birds get fed.. The bird feeders snapped off into chest deep snow that I needed to retrieve or they would be lost until the spring thaw. I chiseled the ice off, cleared off the railing (and deck) and tied the feeders down with re-enforcing wire.
I saw a body print of a squirrel in the snow. He must have fell off the deck into the snow below.
As you can see, (by looking at the above photos), the local "residents" were quite pleased with my efforts!
A couple of the thinner trees in the back folded over in half due to the weight of the snow.The big pine that houses families of goldfinches, thankfully, held steady.
We get lots of winter birds because I always make sure the feeders are full. "Teddy" (my ring neck dove) dances and serenades the mourning doves, goldfinches, blue jays and tufted titmice on his perch looking outside..
Last night, I was awoken by the sound of a large buzzing and a vibrating noise. This noise happened twice and then, we lost electricity. I think something happened to the transformer unit. Luckily we are on the same grid as the fire station so the outage was temporary.
Regardless, I CAN"T WAIT TIL SPRING!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I think we're entitled to call it quits with winter at this point. I chiseled out the truck and the car this AM and was happy to have the sun on my face.

    ReplyDelete