Monday, April 1, 2013

Charlie

I took Charlie to my avian vet for a "wellness" check up.
 If Charlie is going to live with us he has to have a vet check in order to commingle with the rest of the birds.
I had his wings trimmed as well as his nails. I generally do it myself but I let the vet do it this time for a full check over. Let me tell you Charlie was not happy with this ordeal.
He had a gram stain test done as well (they check his poop for bad bacteria). It turns out he did have some 'rods" in his poop so he is now on a broad spectrum antibiotic  This is another thing he not happy about is having to take medicine. It is listed on the bottle as "SMZ". I am not sure what that is.Most likely a new brand of antibiotic.
The vet got a good look at his leg band. It says "MRT FLA 1874" which says he came from a breeder in Florida  and he is number 1874 (and then most likely sold to a pet shop chain.) It was odd it did not list his year of birth.
I feel bad that I have to subject poor Charlie to medication and handling. Hopefully I am doing the right thing.
As you can see he is quite the handsome boy.

2 comments:

  1. He sure is, V. I especially like the mottled black and white pattern on his back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the vet said to me, "as if you need another bird..." ha ha!

    ReplyDelete