Saturday, April 23, 2016

when doves cry

I turned on the news to check the weather as I was driving down from my mother's house On April 21st, radio station WRKO announced that "Prince' (my favorite musician of ALL times) was found dead in his elevator at his home in Paisley park.
I nearly crashed my car.
All kinds of rumors are flying. One rumor in particular of a prescription drug overdose. I find that unbelievable. He was a vegan, born again Christian and didn't drink alcohol. The news did say he had been suffering from a flu at the time.
Regardless, I absolutely loved his music. He was one of very few muscians I would pay money to see in concert.
And I did.
 I would buy the premier front row seats whenever he came to town.
I remember fondly in the late 80's one concert in a small venue in Lawrence! He drove a red corvette out on stage. I was (I think) 3rd row from the stage. He came out prancing on the stage in red leather and chains (oh you saucy boy!)
What a blast!
I dragged my current husband to a concert when we were first dating. I wanted him to experience the kind of music I loved. I wore a zipper up black leather dress and spiky boots. My husband was a folk music kind of guy so this was definitely a first for him. I would sing along to the music and dance. Oh what great fun.
I went to a couple of Halloween parties dressed as Prince complete with black poufy hair, "stash, lacy blouse and purple jacket. And of course, I would play it up dancing around.
It so weird all week prior to this sad news of Prince's passing I had been humming "all the critics love you in New York".
 It is so odd that particular song just randomly popped in my head.
This was a very sad day indeed. :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment