Sunday, February 14, 2016

happy Valentine's day 2016

It's a holiday and I like holidays!
 It is what you make of it.
 I hear some sad people routinely say "it's a hallmark holiday' as an excuse to be a cheap bastard and not send their partner flowers. I doubt they ever send  flowers to their partners regardless.
Anyways, I think of valentine's day as a friendship holiday, not so much as a romantic holiday, mostly because "romance" is so individualized and up for interpretation. I make most of my own cards,personalize them and send them to friends. I like the silly corny ones the best. I usually include something with birds and troll dolls. I know this is lame but I love the "bee my valentine" with a giant bumble bee.
There has been this long running reality show called 'the bachelor". It is giant blind date of 25 insanely beautiful women vie for the attention of this one average guy. Feminists find this show offensive.It is pretty bad  BUT for some reason I can't help myself and I watch it. No, I don't watch it for 'the romance' because it is not my idea of romance. The guy ends up saying the same shit to each of the girls he dates. It's actually kind of so stupid and vapid that it is funny.
This is one dialogue:
guy;"you are always smiling. I want to get to know your vulnerable side"
girl: still smiling.."I have a vulnerable side as well"
guy:"oh good! I really glad we had this conversation. I think I know you better now"
seriously
I'll be honest I watch it because the "girls" all wear super fabulous shoes.
They go on these super cool exotic locations for 'dates". It's a train wreck of a show but the shoes and locales are fun to look at.
When I was kid we used to have this game called "mystery date". You pick a card and you open this door to your mystery date. The date could be a blond surfer boy, a well coiffed prom date or a messy "dud' date. My ol' high school friends have a 'game night" so I went on a search to find this "mystery date"game. I found it on ebay. I bought it and decided to "add" new dates to the door-including "duds". I have a new photo printer so I went into action. All I can say it will be freakin' hilarious. My husband just shook his head as I was laughing my butt off at my 'creations".
Romance? As I said it is different for different people.
I am happy with my birds all sitting on me with my husband snuggled on the couch eating raisennettes and watching a funny movie.
My mother will spend the day with my father in the nursing home just sitting with him.
Couples will go to fancy candle-lit restaurants drinking red wine.
Some folks will cuddle their dog or spend the day with their kids.
Happy valentine's day!

2 comments: