Thursday, October 1, 2015

Trixie part 4

Trixie went to my regular vet  for a "look-see". Everything seemed A-OK. The vet was impressed with how Trixie's legs looked with my "foam rollers-paper tape and pipe cleaner" splint to pull her legs together. She has started to learn to walk forward too. She is cute with her splints like a 'tiny Tim" hobbling across the room. I take her splints off every three days to wash, massage and apply Vitamin E to her legs. She will have another vet visit for x-rays to see if anything can be done surgically but it's doubtful. She seems to be managing and adapting with her splints. I give her calcium drops everyday and try to get her outside for the sunshine. Though days will be far and few between as the fall approaches.
 She is upstairs now with the rest of the birds. She has found her fav spots to roost like on top of the cabinet. She seems to like to hang around with Craow Dum and the other birds in the bird room too.
 I was a little worried recently with the sounds she was making. Instead of her usual baby cries when I held her she was making croaking noises. The vet didn't notice anything with her lungs when I brought her in. If it was something respiratory she would not be able to fly. She is, in fact, is an excellent flier. It turns out her voice was in the process of changing not unlike a teenage boy. She no longer makes 'baby squeaks" but a grumbling pigeon coo.
She found her way to the sink and took a bath for the first time. When Craow Dum saw this she joined in as well.
So far, she is doing great.
Our house is absolutely filled to capacity with birds now.
 I almost refused to take Trixie in but I'm glad I did. She is sweet, she is thriving and gets along with everyone.
 I can't save everyone but I was glad I saved this one.

2 comments: