Wednesday, October 28, 2015

a junkin' junkie or treasure hunter?

I could be called a "junkin' junkie" or just simply, a "treasure hunter". The barnies might call me an "upcycle artist" making 'wearable art".
I am the ultimate recycler.
Whatever.
I enjoy combing thrift shops and junk shops for treasures. Sometimes I'll find bits of jewelry on the beach and incorporate it in my artwork. The bargains and 'steals" are fun but it's all about finding "unique" one-of-a-kind stuff. Vintage stuff. Weird stuff. Religious artifacts. Funky shoes. Parrot and pigeon things. Vintage clothing. Furniture.And of course, troll dolls.
I enjoy rehabbing and restoring my finds either changing them or bringing them back to life. It's all about the art.
My latest dumpster dive was a leather and fur coat.
 It was completely disgusting.
I think at one time it was ivory. (I should have taken a 'before" photo) The sleeves were torn off, the lining was completely torn and soiled. It was pretty much unredeemable but I thought to myself "aha! a project!"
 It just seemed like such a shame and a waste to throw out something with fur and leather.
 I had to 'rescue" it.
For the record, as everyone knows I am an animal lover so I would never 'buy' a fur coat.It just seemed to me to be more of a sin to let this go to waste. I am guessing from the style it was from the 1970's.
 At first, I gently pieced it together. It was extremely fragile and I didn't know if it was going to be worth the effort but I gave it a go.
It was also completely filthy and it stunk awful.
 I washed it with oxi-clean which did nothing and then I pulled out the "big guns" figuring at this point I had nothing to lose. I dosed/scrubbed it with heavy duty industrial pet cleaner and the outside water hose. And yes indeed it was an ivory coat but still badly stained.
I washed the fur with blue hair dye. It cleaned the fur nicely ridding it of vermin (I told you the coat was gross). The next step was dying the leather-which I used a tan leather dye. I then used lavender oil/wax to preserve the leather.
I combed out the fur and retouched injured/torn areas around the seams.
And there you have it (see above)
I took it for a "test drive" and wore it shopping. At least three women stopped me and asked "where did (I) get such a beautiful coat".




3 comments:

  1. ...and it was even your size, V! What a project and such beautiful results. It was worth it, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found vintage clothing fits me quite well. I found a vintage 50's working girl wool suit something my Aunt grace would have worn. The fabric, the stitching and construction is fabulous. the same goes with a red wool coat from the 50's or 60s that I had professionally cleaned. It fits almost custom made. I guess I have an old fashion body!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete