Monday, March 2, 2015

the wild pigeons of salisbury beach part 112

  Well, I found him downstairs in his aquarium upside down.
 He was fighting, kicking and struggling. I cleaned him up, fed him, medicated him and moved him upstairs. I devised a "sling" of soft rubber mesh as Jody recommended to keep him upright and to position his legs. He was eating and seemed A-OK. This was a major undertaking to size it correctly so his fanny and his legs had a way out. I was pretty happy with this and went off to take my shower.
 I heard my husband squawking and the pigeon managed to get out of the sling and twist it all over him. So I made three or more attempts getting it snug and positioned right.Again he yanked his way out.
He is getting stronger and more rambunctious. The final time he got out and got poop all over the place.
 Oh great.
 So I tried something else wrapping him in a bandage to keep his wings from causing him to flip over (Only one wing works) but his feet kept pushing him against the glass. This worked for all of 2 minutes.
I tried again propping him up on the towels and keeping a soft box in front so he wouldn't bang his head plus positioning his legs to stand. So far, this is working.
He eats on his own but still refuses to drink (?!)so I have to use a syringe to get water in his stomach.
His condition is improving as far as being more feisty with more movement in his legs but he still pushes off tumbling to the side upside down and his right wing doesn't work.
 I hate to say it but it reminds me of my father. Both are testy and stubborn trying to get somewhere refusing to acknowledge that something is broken and isn't functioning while fighting you to the end. You try to help and it is a major struggle.
I figured I'd call Jody's vet (again) to see if he would at least take an x-ray to know what I am dealing with. I let the vet know I had no problem  paying for the treatment  and the pigeon would stay with me to convalesce.
Still no dice.
They said the bird would have to stay with them since I am not a license rehabber and the pigeon is considered "wildlife".
This would mean they would put the bird down.
Again I walk away with a heavy heart.
I'm not sure what to do except keep doing what I am doing.

2 comments:


  1. Good for you, V. That's a mantra we've been using too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get those annoying birds out of your yard today! bird removal NJ will help you ASAP.

    ReplyDelete