Tuesday, July 22, 2014

the wild pigeons of Salisbury beach # 106

I haven't fed the pigeons on the beach because of the "new ordinance" prohibiting the "feeding of all wildlife' on the beach.
There were two nests that I could see with youngsters in them above one pizza shop. In one nest, the mother is mostly abscent. I thought she was gone for good and I panicked seeing the two youngsters in the nest.
 I took my bike down the beach during the day and I would nonchalantly check to see if the mother returned. My heart sank thinking "how long has she been gone?" "Will they just starve to death?" "Where is the father or "auntie" pigeons?" (Fathers and sometimes nearby females (the Aunts) who had just lost babies step up and care for the orphan babies)
And then, sometimes the opposite happens. The fathers will chuck the babies out to make room for "new babies". In otherwords, the male is just interested in mating and not the babies at all. (hmmmmm.. similar to humans in many respects) And some of the neighboring females (Aunts) will also chuck the babies to make room for the potential of having "new ' babies.
After two hours on the beach and as I was unlocking my bike to depart, I saw the mother return to the babies. Thank God!
I was visualizing a early morning "rescue" in hopes that I wasn't too late to save them.
 There is food at the beach for the critters such as pizza crusts, french fries and bits of fried doe. People for the most part are slobs and leave their refuge for seagulls, pigeons, dogs and raccoons to forage.
They seem to have enough food, I think.
I just have not been bringing seed to the beach in the morning like I used to feed the pigeons. It would be my luck that despite the no dog policy, no littering policy, etc..I would be the one who would be fined $1000.00 (seriously)for feeding the pigeons.
The pigeons recognize me even during the midday when I take my bike to the beach. I will have a parade of pigeons following me. One little brat started throwing sticks at them and I stopped, and glared at him.
 He turned away.
The youngster pigeons are still not safe. The most dangerous part of their lives is when they fledge. They are almost at that point of their lives where they will attempt to fly and try to join the other pigeons.
Cats, dogs, hawks, seagulls, and mostly (mean) people is what they need to worry about.
Yikes...

1 comment: