Wednesday, October 16, 2013

the wild pigeons of Salisbury beach part 100

*this photo above is a picture of a Bermuda pigeon. The pigeons at the park were bigger, cleaner and more colorful than the pigeons I saw at the Bermuda bus station.
Over the last couple of months I noticed a larger population of pigeons at the beach. They are not the "regulars" that have lived and bred above the pizza shops but, I think, have migrated from Seabrook or Hampton. The "regulars' still perch in their usual spots above the pizza shops. The "other" pigeons roost on the cabana at the rotary.They look different from the "regulars" as well.They are short, fat with shorter beaks. They are also very bold and aggressive. When I bring the morning food, I'll have pigeons on my head, shoulders and out stretched arm as well as a bunch of them sitting on the car.
I worry about their boldness. Although I do not mind it. Most people do not. This may mean bad repercussions for these overly bold pigeons. Sometimes I find squished ones on the road. It is awful to see this. Some people just suck and are just nasty bastards.
On a funny note, one afternoon I drove to the beach to buy candy for my father.It was a nice fall day. A family was eating pizza at the rotary under the cabana. The "Hampton"pigeons got very excited about the prospect of a corn meal covered pizza crust and decided to descend upon the ones still uneaten in the box. The family fled.
On my birthday, my husband bought me a book on the story of Nikola Tesla. I was puzzled on why he bought me a book on the inventor of AC electricity and wireless communication. I know nothing on such matters never mind inventors of such. Well it turns out this eccentric Serbian immigrant inventor  had a passion for pigeons.(*I'll fill you in on the details when I finish reading the book)

1 comment: