Monday, February 6, 2017

gym rat

I've worked out for years in my basement gym I've affectionately called "cell block 9". As of lately I just couldn't achieve the muscle mass with the equipment I had. If anything, I was re-injuring old injuries.
One of the Zumba teachers at the senior center suggested (and gave me a 10 day pass) that I should go for a more advance Zumba class and that her gym offered kick boxing as well.
I figured I'd just try out the 10 day pass for fun. At first I was a bit overwhelmed by the size of the gym and it's facilities. I had been a active member of a similar gym in Sudbury but it wasn't as big or as diverse .Regardless, at the time, I was bit of a gym rat. Well after using the pass for 10 days I decided to join.
There are two weight rooms : one massive one with every kind of machines, weights, etc..that the serious muscle guys (and girls) work out in. And there is a smaller one for "ladies only" that I like. All the machines in the "ladies only"are pretty much adjusted for smaller ladies. This gym has a pool, basket ball court, racket ball, boxing area, a million and one tread-mills and bikes, and an indoor track. I prefer indoor tracks over treadmills. I hate tread-mills because they make me nausea.
I've been trying out pretty much all the classes they have to offer. So far, I like the kick boxing Zumba and pilates classes the best. I tried the step classes and core building classes and they are torture. The spin classes I think are just stupid and gross (but they are soooo popular). Spin classes consist of riding really fast on a stationary bike squished together in a small room. I don't get the attraction.
All of the classes incorporate push ups, crunches and squats in the mix. I noticed in less than one month I no longer have any "loose change" on the back of my thighs. I'm getting back the hardness in my arms as well. There are some serious fit people at this gym. And as I trot around the indoor gym I check out all the "Vin Diesel" types lifting weights.
I have an appointment with a personal trainer in a month (she is booked up far in advance) but so far I am achieving what I set out to do.
Yeah, I'm a gym rat.
It really makes the winter months pass by.

No comments:

Post a Comment