Monday, August 24, 2015

Andros island part 2






 Our adventure started at Fort Lauderdale entering our private charter. It accommodated only 8 passengers which was our entire team! However it turned out we were 100 pounds over loaded. This meant a good amount of luggage couldn't go with us. OMG! I ditched my tool kit, snorkle gear and my husband's entire scuba gear and books. Just about everyone else had to ditch what ever they could so we could get off the ground.
Oh boy!
We were off on an adventure. I've got to say, it was a little scary on this plane. It was little like being on a scary carnival ride  especially when the pilot turned sideways so Alex could get an aerial shot. I almost pooped my pants.
The island of Andros is the largest island in the Bahamas. However, most of the island is inhabitable. It is one big mangrove jungle with "blue holes" (sink holes). I think the lodging we stayed at (Small Hope Bay) is the island's only guest house.
The lodgings were simple but comfortable. I believe if you asked for air conditioning it was provided but only per request. Electricity is at a premium. The Cayman island and Bonaire were both like this 20 years ago as well. We  did have nice big fans blowing on us (which I prefer) at night. The rooms were supplied with  giant jugs of drinking water in our room as well. Since it is a mangrove  jungle island you can expect bugs. The lodge provided skin-so-soft spray to keep the no-see-ums at bay. My husband gets eaten alive. For some reason the bugs love to munch on him. They must like Thai food. So as a precaution I brought "bug off" wipes for him. The bugs pretty much left me alone except this one spot behind my knee.
 Speaking of munching, the food at the lodge was tasty and plentiful. They had vegetarian dishes on the side that worked A OK for me! Some of the guests that stayed at the lodge as well enjoyed the" adult beverages". There were a few "bar flies" that never seemed to move from the bar no matter what time of day. I can not imagine why anyone would want to spend the time getting drunk on vacation. I can understand having "a cocktail" like you would have an ice cream sundae for a "treat". Some people are odd.
The blue holes are one of the interesting features of this island. One afternoon we had a cab take us to a Blue hole that had a cliff. This was "Robos" idea.
I was glad she suggested it. We all jumped off this ledge that was pretty high up into a what looked like a quarry. It was a blast! I jumped off three times. I could've done it all day. I felt like I was 13 years old again swinging off the rope swing at the Mystics (that was illegal)
Another fun thing we did was the shark feeding dive (which I will continue on in the next post)

3 comments:

  1. Gosh, V, you never seemed to mind the small plane from my point of view. Oh, yeah, you were sitting behind me. Never mind. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why it's posting my comments twice, so I'm deleting the second one.

    ReplyDelete