Tuesday, June 24, 2014

the wild pigeons of Salisbury beach #105

Last month I noticed a lot of activity with the pigeons at the beach. Lots of males 'busting-a-move" in order to impress the females. There must have been some success because I saw many pigeons carrying straw and bits of debris for nest making. As a result I noticed two youngsters in a new nest above the pizza shop. Different characters come and go. One poor creature would wait for my arrival. He looked like he had a feather dangling but sadly it wasn't a feather but a rotted leg. I fear because of his rotted leg his chance for survival is slim. I would at least bring his morning food.
My cousin called me the other day in regard to an article in our local paper. I did not recieve the paper that day because I was away on vacation.
the article read as such, that for now on any one caught "feeding the birds at the beach will be fined $1000.00."
A $1000.00....! Can you F*&^ing beleive that?!?!
Needless to say, my heart sank.
People (including myself) have been feeding the pigeons and seagulls for years.
The article claimed it to be a 'health issue".
This makes me laugh (but not in a 'ha ha' way).
The pigeons are being used as a scape-goat in other issues that plague the beach.
 I find caca filled diapers all over the place as well syringes under the buildings. Pizza boxes are scattered everywhere even though there are many trash buckets all over the place. And of course, even there is (suppose to be) a leash law and a "no dogs on the beach" law after memorial day. I continue to see loose dogs running, peeing and crapping on the beach so matter-of-factly.(Mostly pit-bulls)
I stopped feeding the birds.
 Not just because of the big fine but I would not want this to initiate a war on the pigeons. I've already witnessed people's cruelity.
The pigeons follows us when we park our car for our morning run so we've had to park in a different spot to avoid them.
I am not too fond of our health department in town.
This is just another thing that is taken away from us :-(

1 comment:

  1. That's terrible news. Sorry to hear your small gesture will now be illegal. Stupid people make me mad.

    ReplyDelete