Monday, March 10, 2014

the wild pigeons of Salisbury beach part 104

Saturday morning was a decent day weather -wise.
 I went down to the beach as usual, and the pigeons were sitting on the telephone wires above where I usually feed them. I put the food down and they came down to eat.
All of sudden, I heard this ungodly screech and the pigeons scattered helter skelter.
I thought to myself, "jeeze, there must be a ..."
And before I could finished that thought I turned to my right and there was a sharp shinned hawk less than five feet from me standing on a hapless pigeon.
I gasped and froze in horror.
The hawk hopped onto the street with his victim still in his clutches.
A car was coming up the street.
I ran past the hawk and waved to the car to "stop". I didn't want the hawk to get hit by the car.
And I didn't want to scare the hawk off either because that would mean he would be on the hunt for another pigeon.
Thankfully, the car stopped.
This small hawk then carried this now dead pigeon onto a picnic table to eat. next to a discarded pizza box.
Oh, that poor pigeon.

No comments:

Post a Comment