Monday, December 30, 2013

parrots at Christmas 2013

Pislner the parrot and Moondog




Ray getting "tickled"


Ray waving "hello"


This year "Ray" stayed with us over the holiday period.
We usually have quite a few more birds that stay with us over Christmas but this year it was just "Ray".
Believe me when I tell you "Ray" is a "high energy bird" . He likes to have a lot of attention with somebody to play with him.so it was just as well that "Ray" was the only visitor bird -besides my own twelve birds.
Ray is like a monkey with feathers. He is full of energy so I had to make sure I had  lot of toys that he could wreck to keep him busy or else he "finds things " to keep himself busy. (I stupidly left my mail on the counter within 5 minutes the letters were shredded.)
I made a bunch of shredder toys made of small boxes with paper and hidden nuts inside for him. I made a couple of paper mobiles so he could destroy and things with small nontoxic wooden blocks.A toy is "a success" when it is chewed up and reduced to a sawdust mess.
Ray loves to be with you too. As with any bird you got to make sure you are wearing a crappy clothes. Again he enjoys chewing things and that means necklaces (do not wear!) and sweatshirts.
My husband just loves Ray.
He plays little games with him on the couch such as "who's under the towel". Ray loves this and uses him as a climbing perch as well playing "king of the hill" on top of his head..All the birds like watching sports events (especially baseball and football) This includes Ray.
My husband was scratching Ray's head while they were both watching football. He fell asleep on the couch and I found Ray on his back with his feet up with his head nestled in the crook of his arm. I found this to be the funniest thing ever.He looked like he passed out..
All I could do is think of "Pilsner the parrot" in the "Monty" comic strips (see above)
Funny bird

2 comments:

  1. Great to have a "guest" who is such fun to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be afraid that he'd crawl under a blanket on the couch and I wouldn't notice until it was too late. Oh, and I can't believe you have 12 birds! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete