Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Christmas village 2013

I was thumbing through a Christmas novelty catalog recently and they were selling. these cute "theme" nativity scenes with cats, dogs, native Americans and cowboys!(-but no birds.)
 So I made my own "bird theme" nativity scene (*see above)
I couldn't help but think of Steve Carrells character in the movie "Dinner with Schmucks" where he made dioramas and little villages out of dead mice.Every once in awhile a friend would mention that movie and ask if my father still sets up his "special villages" anymore.
During the Christmas season when I was a little kid my mother would set up the Christmas village and let my sister and I play with it  It was kind of special since it was out only for the Christmas season.
 My father would try his hand in woodworking and make light-up churches to add to it. He then got a little more creative and started making his "own" special villages that were fun and funny.
Over the years, as dementia slowly, silently and quietly tiptoed it's way into my father's being the villages started to get more and more bizarre. One was "OJ"s wedding, another with Dr. Kevorkian and then the final village, the alligator invasion at the troll park.
I don't know what happened to the original village. My sister and I probably wrecked it over years of play.
Sometimes I see at specialty vintage shops those little frosted sparkly covered roof churches with the paper windows.
 They still look magical to me.

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way. I love looking at them. Remember those fancy Christmas Eggs? You had to peer through a little window and there was a Christmas Village scene inside? I loved those things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yea, I remember those eggs. I was a brat though and loved poking my fingers those the cellophane windows

    ReplyDelete