Tuesday, September 10, 2013

the wild pigeons of Salisbury beach part 98 (baby pigeon)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7prT77Bc4I&sns=em

For the last couple of days, I've felt like I am "out on parole". I've had a few good days without headaches. You have no idea how 'free' you feel. I've doing my four times a day yoga stretches along with physical therapy.
I am hopeful.
 Every 'clear day" is a gift.
Seriously.
I visited Jodi from Cape Ann Wildlife rehab again so she could show me how to 'tube" a pigeon. She also sent me this video (see above youtube link) as reference. The pigeon in the video "Bob" is a severely deformed pigeon similar to my pigeon . She uses a 14 guage curved stainless steel feeding needle attached to a 20cc O-ring syringe. The food is kaytee exact baby parrot formula (no seeds just formula). She will leave bowl of seeds and bowl of water to hopefully encourage them to eat on their own.The cage is a mesh "reptile" cage with  a bark covered perching stand and a pigeon cuddle toy with (I think) an overhead heat lamp.
(*see above photo. That's Craow Dum enjoying the sunshine). Both pigeons need constant care and are both so sweet and loyal. Thankfully, my pigeon eats on his own with a full bowl but as I had stated numerous times he needs his face/nose/mouth cleaned twice a day or he will suffocate and /or choke.
Poor little "Bob" is missing his beak due to a severe case of "canker". He also has a hole on his head as a result of the disease and his legs are a mess. He does like to flap his wings and enjoys a cuddle.
The little pigeon I found at the beach who is now under Jodi's care is , so far, doing Ok. He is still severely emaciated but he is taking in food and pooping. Prophylactically, she gives rehab pigeons flagyl (to get rid of canker) and vetafarm wormout tabs (for any intestinal nasties). Once the pigeon is out of critical health danger , she will give these meds to them to clean out the "bugs"- so to speak. this little guy looked pretty good.
 Jodi said that he probably still had a sibling on the beach because there are usually two together. I did see a youngster in the flock.He was eating and carrying on with the others without a problem.
Hopefully, this little pigeon will be able  mix with other rehabbed and potential releasable pigeons.
Like I said before, every "clear" day is a gift.

1 comment: