Wednesday, December 21, 2016

fairy dust

I received some very sad news from my friend John on Monday. I am still having trouble wrapping my head around it.
John's former spouse, Marilee, passed away suddenly last Saturday.
She had stomach issues and was told by her doctor it was IBS. Apparently she was in pain for a while and it got so bad she went to the emergency room. As the doctors were trying to manage her pain and figure out what was going on her organs started to shut down. She had a massive fast growing tumor and it took over her tiny body.
Even though John and Marilee divorced in the 1990's. I remained good friends with the both of them. They were both super special friends that I had known since 1973 when we all took karate together. In my teens, I would make an appearance with a gang of friends from Somerville on Halloween  showing up at their door all dressed in some crazy costumes. They both happily put up with my shenanigans.
She moved to the Cape in the late 1990's and we still stayed in contact. She was funny,spiritual and creative. She loved flowers, the ocean, fairies, her kitties and a good bad joke. She would always send me news articles about seals and other marine life down her way.
One time I went to visit her and we went antique shopping. We found a shake 'em doll of a fortune telling hillbilly granny sitting in an out-house. When you picked it up and shook it, it told you your fortune by it's glass fanny. She bought it for me so I could send it to my sister. I thought it was hilarious!
The last I heard from her was on my birthday in September. She sent me a nice a card and a home-made book-mark of troll dolls. I sent her Christmas card like I usually do every year but I didn't hear from her which I thought was odd because she always responded right away. Sadly, I now know why. It makes me so sad that she had been suffering.
I'm going to miss you dear friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment