Friday, May 1, 2015

home improvement avalanche part 2

I'm just about finished with what I planned to do for indoor home improvements for right now. I am just waiting on a pair of roman curtain blinds I ordered through JCPenny for the bedroom in which I will install.
The kitchen needs a major over hall but funds are limited right now. Even if I "Mac and Myer" it and do 99% of the work myself it will still be costly so I will wait on that for now.And, with every project you think you are only going to spend X amount of money and it ALWAYS turns out to be XXX amount of money. Always.
In the meantime, I decided that the front of the house outside needed some cleaning up. Most of the landscape stones have disappeared and the bushes looked like Phyllis Diller's hair (see above)
 The rose "bushes" were dried up sticks. Weeds over took the walk way. All of this is low cost fix-ups. It's mostly manual labor.
I bought eighteen 50 pound bags of stones. I had to make two trips to Home depot because of the weight of the stones in my car. That's a lot of stone you would think but it just about covered the walk way. It took me two days to trim those "Phyllis" bushes. My forearms were killing me. I feel like Popeye! Not to mention dragging those bags of stones. Ugh.. I'm still hurting.
Instead of spraying the weeds with store bought weed killer-which I was opposed to doing because of the birds and critters that visit my yard I used a home-made concoction. My mother used to use mixes like this.
1 gallon of vinegar, 16oz of epson salt and 1/4 cup of (blue) dawn in a spray bottle
I sprayed the weeds twice and it works! All of the weeds kicked the bucket. My mother used to spray her veggies in her garden with just soapy water to keep the aphids away.
It doesn't look like "home beautiful" but at least it looks cleaner. Sadly most of my border bushes died because of the harsh winter.
I have my little garden plot all churned up and cleaned up patiently waiting for the warm weather to plant my herb garden.
I am so glad it is finally MAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment