Sunday, January 12, 2014

let it snow..snow...y owl, that is!

* I took this photo two hours ago! This is a snowy owl on Salisbury beach!

God gave me a "hall pass" today.
I was pain free and my head was clear.
I had been on methylprednisolone (prednisone).
It' s a miracle medication. No pain today. Yipee! I can do math equations.La la la~!
Thankfully (so far) I had not dealt with any of it's nasty side effects.
Anyways, Since I felt so good today I wanted to go out and "play".
So I went out looking for snowy owls since the NBPT daily news reported many sighting of them in both Salisbury and Plum Island.
Within five minutes of entering the reservation I saw two of them.
 I saw bird watchers with their big ass scopes looking at something in the marsh. I scanned the marsh in the direction of where they were looking. The owls mostly look like a big clump of snow.I pulled out my binoculars to check out blobs of snow on the bare marshes and there they were!
The weather report said it was suppose to be 50F but with the wind blowing out from the NW so I am guessing the "real feel" was closer to the 20sF. I tried taking photos of the owls but the wind was blowing my hands and arms around.
I called my cousin and husband to tell them about the owls and then drove over to Plum Island to see if I could find more.The Parker refuge was open and charging $5.00 for admission. It was a good opportunity for the refuge to capitalize on the influx of bird watchers to see the snowy owls. There was a line of cars entering the park like you would see in the middle of the summer (Except for July,. it's green-head season)
I spent two hours at the refuge looking for snowy owls and only spotted two.Maybe with a high powered scope I might have seen more but all I have is my binoculars
I went back to Salisbury and then saw four more! Two of them were perched on trees and another one was sitting on the roof of a cottage. They are really beautiful birds.
I saw EIGHT snowy owls in total today! Wow!
What a day!

2 comments:

  1. There are reports (and pictures) of them in Gloucester at Wingaersheek Beach and Lighthouse Beach in the blog, GoodMorningGloucester. I've never heard of them until this season. What a beautiful bird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had such a great, pain free, day! And an awesome sighting to boot!

    ReplyDelete