Friday, November 1, 2013

NYC pigeons and people

I stayed in a small expensive hotel near Rockefeller center.
 The room was the size of a closet and cost close to $300.00 a night. I did my "research" and this was one of the cheapest hotels in this desired area. Sure you could get a cheaper hotel but they were located in really scrotty sections of New York.  Aaah, no thanks.
What I noticed about the people here was I did not see any obese people or poorly dressed (except for a few sad homeless souls near the churches). Everyone walked to the subway station, to their jobs or where ever at a fast pace.And I do mean fast!.
I really tested my feet on this trip.I must of walked over 200 miles. I was so glad I invested in a pair of really good walking boots.(Cobb Hill by New Balance) And yes, my legs and feet were aching at night but I had no blisters and that was key. I walked more than I ever did in my life.
I noticed the women dressed nicely even the ones that dressed casually. Skinny jeans, boots, tailored wool coats and fancy scarves was the "uniform" on the subway. I did see lots of high end fitted designer clothes and yummy looking high heels as well on the streets..
No crappy looking sneakers, junky ill fitted jeans, sweat shirts, pajama bottoms, crocs or sandals with socks (Thank God)
There were delicious looking shoe shops were everywhere.Gorgeous fashions( not seen in Boston), major league eye-candy, displayed in la de da shops at every corner. I even took the time to check out a "thrift shop" near Park avenue where I scored this high end designer precision cut jacket.When I tried the jacket on no less than four passerbyers commented on how awesome that jacket looked on me.(The selling part for me was when an elderly man walked by, stopped, stared at me and said, "skinny minnie") HA!
One thing I did notice in NYC is that Everyone was glued to their iphones, ipads, ipods (electronic devices)
And I do mean just about everyone.
I frequently heard yells of , "get off yer f*cking phone and pay f*cking attention you f*cking @$$hole!" "wake up @$$hole!"
Considering how many people are in NYC the streets were relatively clean of litter.
I expected to see scroggy looking pigeons but instead I found them to be robust and really colorful.
There were signs everywhere "do not feed the birds"-especially in the parks.
 I mostly found the pigeons to be around the churches, near eateries, on roof tops, and girders. There wasn't as many pigeons around as I thought there would be.There wasn't any pigeons on liberty island where the statue of liberty is located. I found that rather odd.
When I was in central park there was a lady who had a bag of peanuts. She furtively ground up some peanuts, looked around and fed a few pigeons. She must do it all the time because she was saying to one, 'go to your place. You know your place and I'll give you one". And then she moved on quickly. I smiled at her as she fed the little ruddy colored pigeon. I am guessing she might have been one of the "pigeon people of NYC". There is this small group of people in NYC that rescues, rehabs and protects the city pigeons (see link: www.nycprc.org)
Yes, I had to make my observations about the local pigeons on this trip.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you were able to walk so many steps. It's great to have rehab with incentives to step along to the next shop's window.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love NY... and I love the thrift shops there. I have 2 vintage coach bags (under $15) from there, and an awesome Nehru style jacket (Which sadly no longer fits...but will again). Glad you had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete