Monday, June 15, 2015

June 13th Pigeon Appreciation Day

Palomacy (a pigeon rescue in California) announced that June 13th is pigeon appreciation day.
I like to check their facebook page on their rescue stories and for the most part they have happy endings.
It is summer time on at the beach so I can no longer feed the pigeons. I did feed them in the winter because there is no food available for them. There are less and less pigeons at the beach and therefore less nests. Mostly because the pizza shops built barriers so the pigeons can't roost there. I did see a couple youngsters on the beach. I can tell they are youngsters by their pinkish beaks and residue fluff hairs. I saw one chase an adult for food. I found a few new nests under the pilings which makes me nervous at every high tide.
A week ago I got a call from a lady who found an injured pigeon on rte 114. from what she described there would be nothing I could do initially unless she could bring the bird to the vet first of all. The wing was torn off at the tip and there was a hole in the chest (crop) Once a vet checked the bird out and did what needed to get the bird in the right direction I could step in and provide the palliative care (i.e. give medication, clean dressings, feed, clean ect...)
It has been a problem finding a vet who will examine pigeons especially ones found in the "wild". The odd thing is that they are not considered technically as "wildlife" since they can be kept as pets or..as food in some cases. (gasp)
With the help of "Jody' (wildlife rehabber) to have her vet look at the pigeon. I awaited the call so I could step in and help this bird.If the wing was so damaged that he could not be released but still could live out his life as a pet (resident) he would be welcomed in my home.
Sadly, the wing was'nt the only thing  messed up. The injury on the chest was a torn crop and it was seriously infected. (The crop is what holds the food in). This little pigeon was a youngster and must have stumbled into the traffic to have obtained these kinds of injuries. With that being said, he couldn't be saved.
My pigeon must have known something was up because she followed me everywhere I went in the house. People don't realize how smart, loving and loyal these birds are.

No comments:

Post a Comment