Saturday, November 1, 2014

the wild pigeons of Salisbury beach part 108

The tourists are gone and most of the nosey busy bodies don't get up when I get up to go running.
The pigeons still recognize me and follow me when I run on the beach. I've found a few dead ones on the board walk.
I'm not sure why but it is troubling.
There are certainly less of them.
I do know they are hungry and pizza, french fries, and left overs are no longer available.
 Soooooo I've been bringing a small bag of seed to 'help' the pigeons to get through the winter. I place the seeds away from any of the buildings not to cause issue. I spotted Brownie and Galok in the fray.
Two days ago, before dusk, as I about to hit the beach jogging. A white van sped past me nearly hitting me. I thought to myself, "a$$h@le!!!.. slow down!!"
At the corner of the sidewalk I found a seaside sparrow on his back with his legs up in the air. I thought, "oh crap, I think that van hit this little guy". I  presumed the sparrow was dead.
And then his little legs started to move.
I picked him up cupping him in my hands.
He was still alive.
I took him home to access the damage to see if he could be saved.
I looked him over and did not see blood spots nor any obvious breaks or disfigurements. I placed him in a small covered cushioned aquarium to rest.
I wanted to wait til midmorning to call Jody from the Cape Ann wildlife for her advice. If he was merely dazed or in shock the warm comfortable dark aquarium would provide the rest he needed.
At about 10:00 I opened the lid of the aquarium to check on the sparrow and whooosh! out he flew. He flew around my house without any problems.
He appeared to be OK.
I caught him, put in back in the small aquarium and brought him back down to beach. I released him and he flew off with another sparrow sitting on the wire fence.
Hooray!

1 comment: