Wednesday, October 29, 2014

"rubbish to runway" fashion show 2014


Last year my cousin and I attended this fundraiser called "rubbish to runway" in NBPT to raise funds for project "Long Way home" for sustainable housing (and education) in Guatemala. She wanted to go because the Mayor of NBPT (who she campaigned for) was in the fashion show and also for her interest in latino countries.
I poked along because I am always interested in artsy endeavors and was fascinated that the badly needed schools in Guatemala funded by this group were made by using discarded coke bottles as windows. Guatemala is a very poor country.
This is what prompted the theme -"rubbish to runway". Trash was reused and recycled no matter what was considered "junk".
Therefore the idea of taking stuff you would ordinarily throw away and making it into something beautiful, useful and downright fashionable was the theme for the show. The fund-raising effort seemed to be a worthy Christian cause.
So this year, I volunteered.
 I made an outfit out of Kaytee bird food bags, shedded feathers, scrap material, plastic bottle caps and an old stained shower curtain liner.
And being the ham that I am I also volunteered to be a model as well.
Some of the outfits the other "designers' made were extraordinary.
I only posted a few of the outfits but I have to say they were all amazing.
This "model", modeled and designed this dress made out of plastic spoons, forks, knives and plates! It was stunning!
This "model", modeled and designed this dress out of old pill bottles and expired pills! All I could think of that this dress would be perfect for "Nurse Jackie ". It definitely had the "wow' factor!
This "model", modeled and designed this dress out of old hospital scrubs. Amazing!
This 'model" modeled this dress for her friend. It was made from scrap material she found "dumpster diving' and New York Times newspapers. She was absolutely breathtaking!
This "model", designer is a high school kid! OMG! She made this out of corregated computer paper!
Ok here I am.

Hey, I've been seriously working out my arm muscles so why not flaunt it?
It's good clean fun!
And the money raised goes to a good cause, so why not?
Oh, BTW here are the shoes I "made" and wore for the show.


2 comments:

  1. The pictures of you are too small, V. I need to see the dress close up. The shoes are super! You should send the pictures to the bird food company for their information and maybe you'll get a gift card or discount code for ordering next time.

    ReplyDelete